|Photo credit: Arlington National Cemetary|
Today is Memorial Day and is one of those holidays where we, as Americans, reflect on all of the soldiers who have lost their lives in battle. As the daughter of a Vietnam veteran, this day has special meaning for me. My father was in the Navy and did two tours of duty in Vietnam. He was lucky enough to make it out alive and in tact. Not everyone was that fortunate and today we should remember them. So I'm not going to write about my weight loss journey today, I'm going to write about appreciation.
Since I became unable to do a lot of every day things because of my CRPS, carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis, I've had a lot of time to think. Many days have found me feeling very angry and very sad about having CRPS and about what it has taken from me. There have also been many days that have found me appreciative for a lot of things. Here is a short list of those things:
- My husband He helps me when I can't help myself. He does so many things that I appreciate like, doing the dishes, cutting my meat when my hands won't let me, cooking when I can't, driving me around because my medications keep me a little too loopy to drive. This list could go on for pages and pages to be frank.
- My readers You find what I write interesting or comical or sometimes even helpful and I appreciate your support more than you know. You keep me going on days that I feel like I have nothing to say.
- My sister, Amy She may be 9 years younger than I am, but she's wise beyond her years. We are super duper close and I love her dearly. She is always there when I need her and I reciprocate. It's nice to have a sister!
- My mother We have definitely had moments where I thought we may kill each other, but my mother is incredibly supportive and non-judgmental. I love that about her.
|Key Lime Pie is my favorite! Photo: Charles E. Walton IV|
- Pie I love pie. It loves to fatten me up. It's a love/hate situation I suppose. Damn you, pie!
- Pajamas My uniform. I write in pajamas. I dance in pajamas. I read in pajamas. I watch TV in pajamas. I do everything in pajamas except go in public wearing them because I'm not quite THAT lazy yet. Thank you to whomever invented pajamas. You are loved.
|Ha! This ad is great!|
- ChapStick I appreciate the way you keep my lips soft and smooth. Thank you, ChapStick, thank you.
- Beer Oh how I love thee. You've made me fatter and fatter, but I still love thee. Why am I using the word 'thee'? This isn't the Bible, after all.
- Music I can't go a day without music. I love a variety of genres and I primarily listen to jazz/blues when I'm writing. I wouldn't be able to dance around the living room like a loon if I didn't have music now would I?
|Now that's old school!|
- Television You sneaky little bastard! You suck me into your fantasy lands, your make believe stories and I love it!
And on this day even more than others,
- My father As I said, he is a Vietnam veteran and I appreciate his service. I appreciate that he is a good man and tries to do the right thing by me and my siblings. On this Memorial Day I am so grateful that he made it out of that horror alive.
My family was fortunate in that way, but many others weren't so lucky and today I appreciate the sacrifice they made for me and everyone else. I hope you take time this Memorial Day to think about the reason this is a holiday. Please take a moment to honor, respect and appreciate those who can't be with us today.