Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hi! I'm Mrs. One Day and I'm a Food-o-holic!

I'm gonna be 40 in May. 40! Geez, I can't believe I'm already at that point in my life. I mean, it really seems like I was just a 20-something woman with a size 8 body and the world in the palm of my hand. Now I look at that size 14 or 16 label in my jeans and get teary eyed. I've been disabled since 2008 and I see no world in my palm. That saying makes me smirk at the irony actually. You see it's my left hand/arm that have the problem. 
God I hope that's true.
                             
I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), sometimes referred to as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). Quite a mouthful isn't it? If you aren't familiar with CRPS, check out this excellent information on the oh-so-helpful bandbacktogether.com, http://bandbacktogether.com/complex-regional-pain-syndrome-resources/ . Because of this, and several other, medical issues, I have a hard time with exercise. My pain is excruciating at worst and annoying as hell, at best. I have a grocery list of medical problems that I won't bore you with now, but suffice it to say, I'm a sickly chicky. It sucks and I've written about it in my personal blog, onedayimgonna.blogspot.com, which is weird because it's a humor blog. Every now and then I get a little bit intimate over there, but mostly it's about the laughs.
So, I guess you get the general picture here. I developed CRPS in 2008 and have since gained about 40 extra pounds that I hate. I'm thinking of naming each one so that when I lose them, I can shout, "Fuck you, Ira! Off you go!" Doesn't Ira totally work as a "pound" name? Maybe I'll make a list of their names and post it. Maybe not. It's weird right? Let me get this train back on the track now. Alrighty, so I am trying my best to get rid of Ira and his fatty friends. How, you ask? Portion control and dancing which masquerades as exercise. Yay! I find that I'm having so much fun I sometimes forget that I'm working out and the next day my butt, legs, arms and back are sore as hell. That's how I know I actually did something productive for my body. Woohoo! 
We've all been here, no?
Bottom line is this. I have very little will power...very little. I'm a caver. I'm a rationalizaton-er. I'm a word maker upper apparently too. My tendency is to eat several things that seem "not-so-bad" throughout the day, not thinking of how they add up. I rationalize it by saying, "But it's only 50 calories!", which would be okay if it were just the one 50 calorie item. It usually isn't. I'm pretty good about the working out because, like I said before, it's fun dancing around the house!
At least THAT'S not us right?
I need this blog for support from my fellow contributers (who I adore by the way), and from readers like you. I promise to do my best and share all of my ups (and downs), if you promise to do it with me. Kick me in the ass if I need it (and I will). Give me a high five when I deserve one and dammit let's get rid of Ira and all the rest of them!

28 comments:

  1. Great intro! I love naming the pounds, that's hysterical.

    You know the girls and I hate that you have to deal with the pain and discomfort of CRPS, and I know that we all will encourage you, support you, and fuss at you if need be. We should all be able to fuss at each other sometimes.

    Once we all reach our goals, I think we should have a Former Fat Girls Conference, and all meet up for a weekend somewhere fantastic. A Celebratory Skinny Party! Wohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid Ira! Hahaha! Thank you so much for always supporting me with my medical issues. It helps. It really does.

      Also...I LOVE that idea. Skinny party! Woohoo!

      Delete
  2. Bea, a celebratory skinny party sounds like a fantastic idea. This NEEDS to happen.

    Mrs, this was a wonderful first post. You make me laugh so much!
    I feel the pain of your CRPS, but we're here to keep you on track and LOLing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so does need to happen, B. I am ready!

      Thank you for your support. Like I told Bea, it really does help. :)

      Delete
  3. I read the article. That sounds terrible. But you've such a wonderful sense of humour I would never know that you suffer like this. It's amazing what we can go though and still keep on. I say kick Ira in the arse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Ira. Hahaha! I try to keep laughing, Anne. Otherwise, I'd cry and no one wants a sobbing blogger, right? Ha!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like you are having a parteh...not. Let's kick ira and the rest of the unwelcome guest out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna kick that mother effer right out the door! Then there will be much partying.

      You're awesome and thanks for the support, girl.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a plan. I need my hormones to stop making me eat potato chips and chocolate. I am totally in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Thank you. I only do it when I'm alone during the day. If I do it at night, I go in the bedroom and close the door. Hehehe :)

    Thank you for going on this journey with me. Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya on that. After my hysterectomy last year, I swear my cravings got crazy! Stupid hormones. I want some good fat-eating hormones. Where the hell are those? Haha!

    Glad to have you on board! I hope my crazy butt, along with the other ladies, can keep you motivated and laughing a bit too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to learn to dance for exercise. That sounds way more fun and inspiring than forcing myself to get on the damn StairMaster! (which totally happens about 4 times a month. not good!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even do well with stuff like treadmills & Stairmasters, before my CRPS. Those things always bored me to tears, so I never did it regularly. Cranking up tunes that I like and pretending to be a backup dancer keeps me entertained and hopefully is kicking Ira and his pals, off my body for good.

      Delete
  9. I had no idea. If I ever find the Lucky Charms leprechaun, I will beat him into a bloody pulp until he leads me to his wife. I will steal her magic wand, and make all your physical pain disappear. That's a promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really sweet. I love it when people offer to beat leprechauns up on my behalf. Seriously. Thank you so much. You are a doll :)

      Delete
  10. Yay! Good luck! I've been wanting to get Just Dance for the Wii, for this very reason. I can't wait to see how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a fun game. I don't have a Wii or I would absolutely be doing that.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Nice intro - one guy I know lost a lot of weight by not finishing what ever he was eating. He kept eating the same things, but threw away the last third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. That's a good idea! I wonder if I could resist eating the last third. Hmm...worth a shot!

      Delete
  12. Naming the pounds, fab idea - I might do that, but I think they will all end up with names of various exes.. :P

    I've got Dance Dance Revolution in my workout routine - you can get StepMania (same basic thing) for free on the PC if you can get your hands on a cheap (maybe secondhand?) dance pad? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, cursing at an ex is not a terrible idea. Is it?

      Hmm...I will have to check into that. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. I've been playing Just Dance 2 for the Wii 2-3 times a week as part of my workouts.. I prefer it to other games as it doesn't require a dance pad. There's a fitness setting as well, and if you have a Wifi hookup you can buy additional songs.

      Delete
    3. I'm gonna have to save up to buy a Wii.

      Delete
  13. wow! First of all, let me say that I think you're a strong woman. I may not know you personally but just by reading your blog, I can tell you are very much a woman with strength despite the hindrances in your life.

    I like the fact that you name the pounds you have! It's hilarious.

    Well, good luck with your goal to lose weight, I am doing so myself.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. That's a wonderful compliment.

      I need to get on the scale in the morning and see if Ira is outta there! Hahaha!

      Good luck to you, as well!

      Delete
  14. I should begin by saying, Ira is a BITCH.

    Good luck with the weight loss! Dancing is actually amazing for your body..I would give belly dancing a shot. It has a number of advantages ;)

    GM x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the belly-dancing thing.. I did it for about six months until my instructor had to have back surgery. It's fun, not terribly high-impact so it's good if you have joint issues and you feel soooo relaxed after a class.

      Delete
    2. Hmm...my cousin is a belly dancer and she also says it's so fun. I wonder if they have DVDs or something for at home. Surely they do.

      And thank you very much!

      Delete