Thursday, March 29, 2012

Straight outta the food diary: Sugar, Sugar, Sugar

In another eye opening food diary entry, I decided to keep track of the sugary goodness that I consume. I read in an article online that the average person consumes 2-3 pounds of sugar each week. I thought that this couldn't possibly be me. I'm not a sugar fiend! Or at least that's what I told myself.

You see, I'm in love with cookies. It really should be a meal for me since I eat them so much. I'm not sure how I managed to lose 10 pounds when it seems like every other day or I have a cookie or some kind of cakey thing in my hands.

For example: I was sitting at my desk on Monday, and one of the executive admins at my job ran out of her meeting with a tray full of cookies/truffles. (My job is a truffle kind of job). Not one or two of them wrapped up in a napkin. An actual tray. Why couldn't it have been a tray of sushi?

Anyway, I politely declined the cookies and went back to work. A few hours later, another meeting got out and they had more cookies. (We had a ton of big meetings this week). I declined it again, but my resolve was slipping.

Someone eventually just left a plate of two cookies out near my desk and I ate them. On a Monday morning, no less. Oh well. I wrote it down and kept it moving. No guilt here!

But they did cost me 30grams of sugar each. So, I had 60 grams of the dreaded sugar before the day even started. Oy.

I did rather well the rest of the week with only minor amounts of sugar and other goodies. I'm starting to go back to just eating veggies and chicken. It's the only thing that makes me feel energized the entire day and can make me feel like I won't nod off at my desk.

The moral of the story here is keeping track of everything works, AND I'm learning more by closely monitoring what I put in. This is exhausting work, but it's a project well worth undertaking. It's for my health, afterall.

In body news, my clothes are starting to feel a bit more lose around the waist and bust areas. That's progress. :-)

Until next time.







3 comments:

  1. Yay for progress!

    I find that when I cut back on sugar and eat more healthy things, I actually begin to have fewer cravings. That makes it a lot easier for me to to stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! I love it when clothes start getting loose. Progress baby.

    Cookies are evil. They're SO good. I'd say only having two with that much temptation is a victory in itself.

    I cut out sugar completely and I think that's where my initial fast weight loss came from. We have no idea how much we take in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that holding yourself accountable always works. I'm just afraid to do that yet. We'll see. YOU are doing so freaking great!! I'm stupid proud of you and progress is good!

    *Monster hugs*

    ReplyDelete